Thursday, February 10, 2011

you were marked...

Sometimes I get attacked by my kids.  I usually see it coming by a twinkle of mischief in the eye just before it happens, but once in a while I get attacked with no warning - kinda like Hobbes leaping on Calvin...

The other night, after my daughter had attacked, she decided that the weapon of choice would be the markers lying nearby in her pencil case.

Vainly attempting to defend myself (amid gales of laughter) I got the marker from her for long enough to "tattoo" her arm with a nice big happy face. At the same time she grabbed another, wrote a quick "Hi!" on my hand and then proceeded to "decorate" my face.  After the battle was done, I didn't worry about cleaning it off right away - I wasn't all that concerned since I figured it would wash off in the shower the next morning.  Hmm....WRONG!!!




The Essential Calvin and Hobbes

Much to my dismay, although the marker had faded it was still quite visible.  So regardless of the state of my face, I still needed to head out to the church for office hours, and prepare for Sunday and youth group.  Shortly after I arrived people started coming in for Bible study and by that time I had forgotten about my "new look."

I was talking with one of the ladies as they were getting settled in for Bible study - just merrily chatting away - totally forgetting the marker on my face. A look of mild amusement came to her eyes after she pointed out that I had something on my face and I in turn explained where it came from.  I had totally forgotten to hide in my office until this had faded. Oh well... :s

In the Bible - the letter to the Ephesians - we see another indelible mark...
"When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit..." (Ephesians 1:13b)
The author was speaking to some Christians who had heard the gospel message and reminding them that God had marked them too. God placed the Holy Spirit in the believer as a seal - a sign of us belonging to Him.

I was marked by something that will fade with time, but the mark that God places in us will never fade away. His presence guarantees us of things to come - our inheritance as His adopted children.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this Carl! Looking forward to reading all you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I've not met you yet Carl, I want to drop a note to say: Keep writing! It takes style and a unique type of courage to put one's thoughts 'out there'. And, if nothing else, Calvin and Hobbes may very well be the most stylin' comic ever. Just my opinion. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute anecdote, although Bill Watterson is an atheist. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have your comments! Thanks for visiting!